[Sussex] Xubuntu hangs when loading hardware drivers

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Tue Dec 11 02:44:23 UTC 2007

Hi Fay

I see you posted this to SurreyLUG too> :-)

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 22:52 +0000, Fay Zee wrote:
> I've had a problem booting Xubuntu 6.06 on my Dell L400 this evening.
> Last used successfully Saturday 8 Dec when I lent it to Alex to use all day at
> the HantsLUG meet. He says he shut it down properly.
>
> But now, it only gets so far, then hangs:
> WhatsItAllAboutAlfie07
> Mounting root file system...
> Reading files needed to boot...
> Preparing restricted drivers...
> Starting basic naetworking...
> Starting kernel event manager...
>
> Hangs at this point.

Alan's reply there really is the next step.
Remove the "quiet" and "splash" options in grub before the system boots
so you get the full boot messages displayed.  Hopefully you will then be
able to report exactly where the system is having a problem.

Steve Dobson