[Sussex] BBC Video Downloads

Mark Harrison Mark at yourpropertyexpert.com
Fri Feb 2 15:21:05 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: sussex-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk
[mailto:sussex-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk] On Behalf Of Nic James Ferrier
Sent: 02 February 2007 14:34
To: LUG email list for the Sussex Counties
Subject: Re: [Sussex] BBC Video Downloads

> This is the argument that other media companies are using. It's not
> necessarily true is it?

Fair comment.

> People will still buy content. The BBC could charge for downloads (as
> long as it was free thereafter). There's nothing wrong with charging
> to make up for distribution costs.

Ah - indeed. Were they to "charge at the point of usage", then things are
different.

> What most of us object to is DRM and limited rights to use
> something.

I _don't_ inherently object to "limited rights". I'm an author, and I grant
purchasers of my books:

- right to read them
- right to lend them to their friends
- right to comment on them in public
- right to write to me to disagree :-)
- right to sell them on when they've read them
- right to give the copy they purchased away free of charge

But I DON'T give them the right to:

- make copies and distribute them

If DRM were to do that, then I'd be happy with DRM. The problems, for me,
come when DRM stops customers doing all the things in the first list!

> We especially object to it from the BBC because we've already paid for it.

And this is the crux of the matter. We have "sort of" paid for it, on the
basis that the production budget are set on taking into account a certain
revenue will come in from sales. If that revenue stops coming in, then
something else has to give (but see your first point above!)

Overall, I'm coming round to the view that, yes, downloads of BBC material
_should_ be non-DRM...

... and that the likely reduction in BBC income IS likely to be far less
than the 15-20% that my naïve figures might have suggested...

... so the reduction in BBC production would be tiny...

... and a price worth paying in exchange for DRM-free material

You've convinced me!

Regards,

Mark