Stallman and GNU/Linux, was Re: [Sussex] BBC Video Downloads

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 08:50:14 UTC 2007

On 2/2/07, Nic James Ferrier <nferrier at tapsellferrier.co.uk> wrote:

> Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > So you're a local FSF member? I''ve known Stallman for years: he was
> > pretty livid when the Linux kernel came out, filled the hole in the
> > basis for an open-source OS tthat the HURD kernel had never quite
> > managed, and got so much credit for the rest of the operating
> > systems.
>
> I've known Stallman for years as well. I believe what you said there
> is libellous.
>
> That is just not his position and paints him in a petty and self
> serving light. He is neither of those things.

What? It's not petty on his part. He's got a real point. Please read
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html, which matches what Richard says
about it iin private as well as in public. The FSF successfully built up
most of an open-source OS using GNU tools: they only lacked the kernel. The
HURD kernel never worked reliably until well after the Linux kernel was out
there and a major component of many different operating system
distributions. The result is that people talk about Linux as an operating
system and the GNU basis for it is ignored, along with

Heck, you should have sene Richard at the presentation about Palladium,
later renamed Trusted Computing. I have stories about that: Richard was at
his best, correctly shredding the presenter's glowing presentation and
pointing out its real purposes for DRM.