[Sussex] : Stallman and GNU/Linux

Nic James Ferrier nferrier at tapsellferrier.co.uk
Mon Feb 5 14:13:43 UTC 2007

Steve Dobson <steve at dobson.org> writes:

> The only problem I have with the term "GNU/Linux OS" is that why is
> GNU software given billing when other software, which is equally important,
> is not?  Personally I would prefer the term "GPL OS" as code licensed under
> the GPL is by far the largest component.

I struggled with this for a while. But now I usually refer to the
operating system that I use as "Debian". Because it's a Debian distro
of a GNU/Linux/Xorg/XFCE OS.

But I'm able to do that because I spend a lot of time talking to
people who know what I'm talking about.

When I'm talking to my parents, my sister or people who aren't techies
I tend to say "GNULinux" as well. I say "Debian" sometimes to those
people because it starts a converation and I can explain the point of
free software.

--
Nic Ferrier
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk   for all your tapsell ferrier needs