[Sussex] BBC Video Downloads

Andrew Guard andrew07 at andrewguard.com
Thu Feb 8 11:37:00 UTC 2007

Geoff Teale wrote:
> To whom it may concern,
>
> The BBC are planning new video download services on their website.  In
> principle it's not a bad thing to get a new way of accessing material
> that we all pay for via our license fees.  The Trust who must makes
> changes to the the BBC's license in order to support this development
> have a questionnaire about some of the details of their proposed
> service.

I have been very quite on this subject.  But as of last year I have been
campaign opposing use M$ DRM system

http://petitiononline.com/bbcms/

If fact I am very anti-DRM as just doesn't work. Which has been show
again and again. DRM is defective by design in 2 ways.

1) It restricts usage.
It drives people nuts.  You can not just transfer the file to xyz.  They
do not trust you, you are not worthy of there trust the 0.0000001% of world.
2) It not successful in restricting usage.
We all know about DVD and HD-DVD / Blue-Ray.  Also iPod FairPlay has
been broken as well with Microsoft WMV.  It just doesn't stop what meant
to stop from happing.

PS Also note that BBC doesn't encrypt there transmissions on Sky
(Eurosat) or Freeview, ie as such there is no form DRM.  Anyone within
that foot print can view the programs as there is NO protection. No TV
licence is required to receive.

PPS Just did search on word "licence" on Google.  It's true wow moment
TV Lincencing is the first on the list.  Now Microsoft is not on the
first page but the likes of Driver licence and Creative Archive Licence.
  The first software licence mentioned there is for PuTTY.