[Sussex] Adaptec 2100S not recognising drive

Jamie Penman-Smithson jpenman.smithson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 14:48:34 UTC 2007

Hi all,

On 07/02/07, Jamie Penman-Smithson <jpenman.smithson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/02/07, John Crowhurst <info at johnscomputersupport.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Tue, February 6, 2007 15:54, Jamie Penman-Smithson wrote:
> <snip>
> > > So, I managed to find a new drive, however in the Adaptec RAID setup, it
> > shows up as "Missing Component":
> > >
> > > (0,0,0,0) RAID-5
> > > (0,0) QUANTUM ATLAS V 18 WLS
> > > (0,1) Missing Component
<snip>
> > My guess is that you need to mark the drive for a rebuild somehow. What
> > options does the setup program give you? Can you select the drive to do
> > things with it?
>
> I managed to figure out what the problem was - several of the pins on
> the connector are broken, which is probably why it can't see the
> drive.

I've replaced the cable, no joy. I've changed the jumpers to give it
ID 1, connected it to an Adaptec 7899 scsi controller in another box
and it shows up with ID 1. I formatted it, put it back on the Adaptec
2100S - it shows up as 'Missing component'.

The failed drive shows up fine - as Failed. As far as I can see
there's nothing wrong with the drive itself, I've verified it twice
and formatted it.

The Adaptec knowledge base has:
"   	Replacing failed drive - Array includes a missing member and
cannot rebuild"
"Ensure that the new drive inserted in the system has a unique SCSI ID
and thus does not conflict with any of the present drives or the RAID
controller (SCSI ID 7). Even if the new drive does not appear as a
member of the array, ensure that it is detected as a single
independent drive."

In this case the new drive isn't being detected at all.

Any ideas?

--
-Jamie L. Penman-Smithson <jpenman.smithson at gmail.com>