[Sussex] BBC Video Downloads

Jacqui Caren jacqui.caren at ntlworld.com
Tue Feb 13 12:45:26 UTC 2007

linux at oneandoneis2.org wrote:
> Sorry, I just don't buy it. A possible, user-controlled restriction
> function for people who really need security, yes. An unavoidable
> crippling of hardware, no. Fails the reality test.

it is politics - MS and .gov.uk, use the same technique - suggest
something completely insane such as bus level encryption/signing
or sticking all of your personal details on a chip that anyone can read.

When this causes a stink, backtrack and settle for what you originally
wanted - some part of the original fake proposal.

I doubt mobo/video manufs do not want any of this technology but the
RIAA do want it all. Look at HDMI as an example of interfaces designed
to restrict usage not extend. Currently DVDS play better on a cheap
tiawaneese player than a high end sony jobbie when connected to a HDMI
based plasma - why because the cheapo player is less restrictive than
the sony/RIAA crippled device.

Even now a PC has a hard time connecting to some HDMI devices under
linux - and many windows HDMI drivers fail miserably.
Advice for HDMI is to buy all the kit in one go and ensure it works
(in shop demo) before paying.

If even part of the encryption/signing takes place the picture becomes
far more complex and as already happend in the printer and automotive
worlds using technology to restrict and enforce a monopoly can be very
profitable.

Jacqui