[Sussex] OLPC to sell to the public

Paul Graydon paul at paulgraydon.co.uk
Wed Jan 10 17:12:32 UTC 2007

> It appears that the "One Laptop Per Child" project *will* be selling
> the laptop to the world at large, and not just developing nations
> after all.

> Would this make it the first device avaiable to the general public
> that runs LinuxBIOS out of the box?

Hmm.. now this'll be interesting.  I can see a big potential market in
school kids; if so this could finally act as a solid argument to force the
curriculum to properly accomodate people using other platforms than
Windows and Office.

Despite my geekish character, I'm not too chuffed about the idea of
possible further reliance on technology in the classrooms though.  Already
basic skills are being lost due to over reliance on computers, things will
only get worse.  A lá the "Dune" universe, its seems more and more we're
building machines to do our thinking for us.  The number of students I saw
when working at the college that had no idea how to research anything was
shocking.  All they knew to do was "google" it; let alone start mentioning
spelling and grammar correction, calculators etc. etc.