[Sussex] Wobbly Windows on Debian

Steve Dobson steve at syscall.org.uk
Mon Jan 22 11:38:53 UTC 2007

Hi Gang

After being really impressed by Steve W's wobbly window demo (of Beryl)
I've been looking for the packaging to happen in Debian.  It still hasn't
happened.

However, Beryl is a fork of compiz, and compiz is packaged for debian.
So I installed it and gave it a go.  It works!  I have wobbly windows!
I have true transparent windows! I have video playing on the edges of my
cube!

I have only found two disadvantages so far:

1) Most video files I've tried don't do transparency, and playing more
than one video at a time doesn't always work.  This is not a replay
problem as I only want to do this for demo purposes.  This may also be
a function of my video card, the Gentoo page on supported hardware
notes that there are problems with my card.

2). I had to install the propriety video driver (for Xorg) from ATI.
This is a problem with my conscience as I would much rather run a
purely free software system.

Anyway, I does work.  So if you're a debian user and want to have a
play with wobbly window then check out http://wiki.debian.org/Compiz.