[Sussex] laptop as a media center

Paul Howard paul at phoward.com
Mon Jan 22 13:28:22 UTC 2007

Afternoon all

I have a project I want to get set up but not sure if its viable or not.

I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop that has an S-video output. I have
currently got XP on the laptop and it hooks up via an s-video to composite
convertor (which you get with the laptop)

I want to run this laptop as a media center so I can copy video files over
the network to the laptop and then play them on my TV. The problem is that
under XP to get the s-video out to work you need to install the ATI drivers.
I also needa remote that will work with the laptop.

Now, is there a linux distor like knopmyth or somesuch that will a) work on
that laptop and let it use the s-video port and b) is there a USB IR remote
that works under Linux?

Or should I just forget it and get a copy of windows media center - which I
REALLY dont want to have to do.

any ideas?

cheers

--