[Sussex] laptop as a media center

Paul Howard paul at phoward.com
Tue Jan 23 07:14:02 UTC 2007

On 1/23/07, Steve Dobson <steve at dobson.org> wrote:

> Paul
>
> On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 01:15:25PM +0000, Paul Howard wrote:
> > I have a project I want to get set up but not sure if its viable or not.
>
> This reply might just help then.
>
> > I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop that has an S-video output. I have
> > currently got XP on the laptop and it hooks up via an s-video to
> composite
> > convertor (which you get with the laptop)
>
> I am currently writing this reply on a Dell Inspiron 8200 with a "nVidia
> Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 Go] (rev b2)" on PCI bus ID 1:0:0 (as reported by
> lspci).

Steve,

thanks for the lengthy and detailed reply.  I certainly now have a much
clearer idea of what is involved. The biggest problem I think I have is that
my laptop has the ATI mobility radeon 9000 vga card in it rather than the
nvida one.

I haven't had much luck getting the proprietary drivers to work well with
this card at all.

--
Paul Howard

t: +44 (0)1293 738158