[Sussex] Fedora Core 5 - lossing disk space

Vic lug at beer.org.uk
Wed Jan 31 11:13:34 UTC 2007

> Yes, I did delete the files as each was over 10GB and I needed to get the
> system back in action . However, I then trapped the first entries in the
> newly created log file and fixed the cause of the excess messaging.

It's unlikely that that was the whole of your problem.

10GB is one hell of a big log file to have been thrown up in just a
week[1]. My money would be on that file having accumulated over a longer
period.

If that is the case, then the real problem you've got is that your log
files are not being rotated (which prevents this problem, rather than just
delaying it). But the only way to know would have been to look at both the
first and the last entries in the log in question.

I strongly recommend you check this log in one week's time & make sure it
is being deal with properly. If your logrotate configuration specifies a
size, you might have to keep checking each week until the size criterion
is satisfied.

Vic.

[1] I've used the "one week" rotation period because that is pretty much
standard for the bigger log files; if that is not what your config is set
to, adjust your observations accordingly.