[Sussex] Mixing SCSI, IDE and RAID with LVM

Diego Moore diego.moore at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 06:36:21 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I'm not too hot with how LVM works but it seems useful and I want to
replace my old home server with some spares I have lying around:

9Gb SCSI drive
3x identical 80Gb drives.

As the drives are over 3 years old and I just don't trust them! So the
idea to to have a RAID5 setup... but where would LVM and the SCSI
drive fit with this?

I've read that I might just as well have the swap partition on the
RAID as if I don't one failure could bring the server down, but
Ideally I would like to use the performance of the SCSI drive (boot,
apache, mysql, etc)...

So my question is how do I arrange this so that I get the flexibility
of being able to grow the partitions at a later stage with LVM?

Many thanks...
DM