[Sussex] Mixing SCSI, IDE and RAID with LVM

Jon Fautley jfautley at redhat.com
Tue Jul 3 08:53:13 UTC 2007

Mike wrote:

> Another point of note is whether you want to have /boot and / on LVM.
> This is acceptable, but personally I don't trust it completely - i've
> been bitten with LVM before, so I prefer to have them outside of it -
> I'm sure others will disagree, and one day I hope my mind changes about it.

Don't put /boot on LVM. It'll not work. All your other advice is sound
though.

FWIW, I run all my systems with LVM. I usually have a 'system' VG and a
'data' VG (or for my virtual hosts, a 'vm' vg). This makes the
human-readability of the filesystem layout much better.

I run this:

/dev/mapper/earl-data
                       1.8T 1009G  664G  61% /filer

and have not had a problem adding more disks and growing. It started out
as a 240GB filesystem made up of 3 x 80GB disks. It's now got 3 x 500GB
SATA disks, 1 x 400GB IDE, 1 x 250GB IDE and 1 x 300GB IDE. None of the
original 80GB disks are in use (pvmove'd all the data away).

One thing to note - if you are going to be using pvmove and the like,
make sure you've got plenty of RAM. That box has 256MB (of extremely
expensive RAM, hence the lack of upgrade) and it will crap out when I
start using pvmove to shuffle physical volumes around.

> I use ext3 on RHEL4/CentOS4, and reiserfs on Debian Sarge/Etch for the
> filesystems - both can be grown reliably online (no need to unmount)
> with 'ext2online' and 'resize_reiserfs' respectively.

You're concerned enough about your data to put the disks in a RAID
setup, yet you use ReiserFS?

*snigger*

/j
--
Jon Fautley RHCE, RHCX <jfautley at redhat.com> direct: +44 1252 362815
Technical Account Manager                    office: +44 1252 362700