[Sussex] So... GPL v3, eh?

Steve 'Dobbo' Dobson steve at dobson.org
Tue Jul 10 13:34:21 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 10:47:30AM +0100, Dominic Humphries wrote:
> The new version of the GPL was finally released at the end of last
> month. Steve & myself both seem to have been arguing with Groklaw about
> it & its ramifications recently (yesterday and today, anyway), which
> made me realize that I hadn't seen any discussion of the new GPL here on
> SLUG.

So which one are you then?

> Has anyone read it?

In the process of.  I want to take my time as it is a complicated document.

However, Eben Moglen's talk last month on the process behind GPLv3 and the
fact that it community developed self legislation means that I probably will
adopt it.  If I do find something I really don't like I will first look
very closely at my own reasons because I do believe in the wisdom of the
crowd.

> Do you like it? Dislike it? Feel a bit ambivalent?

I won't know that until I've read and thought about it.  Give me time.

> Are you worried that Linux will be staying at version 2, or disappointed
> to hear that Samba is getting ready to go version 3 only?

No!

There is no problem what so ever in running programs compiled from code with
different licenses on the same computer.  All LAMP stacks do this already
as Apache is not under the GPL and there is no problem there judging by the
number of sites on the Internet that run Apache on Linux.  There is even
some GPLed code available for the Win32 platforms and I am pretty sure
(although I haven't checked lately) that Microsoft's kernel isn't GPLed.

Anyone still saying there is a problem is a troll.  My advice is to bury
them under their bridge where they belong.

>                                                            Or do you not
> really care at all so long as the next version of Ubuntu isn't delayed
> by all the fuss?

What's Ubuntu? :-) I use Debian.