[Sussex] Solaris Networking

John Crowhurst info at johnscomputersupport.co.uk
Thu Jun 7 07:27:22 UTC 2007

On Wed, June 6, 2007 22:08, Steve 'Dobbo' Dobson wrote:
>> If you want to be leading edge and have a cheap play environment,
>> though, try CygWin. You can learn quite a lot about open source packages
>> and software development there, especially cross-platform work. The
>> knowledge will stand you in good stead when the architecture changes
>> under your project.
>
> I would council against CygWin.  Don't get me wrong, CygWin is a great
> system.
> I installed it on a Win2003 laptop I *had* to use when I worked for a
> company a few years back.  It made that system useable to me, a long time
> Unix hack.  But the file naming systems on Windows meant that it never
> felt quite right.  So I'd recommend going for the "real" thing.

CygWin isn't really Unix for Windows, its just a set of tools that give
you usability on Windows. Its great for starting an X server and
displaying your X sessions from your Unix server to it, but its useless
for running applications such as Apache or the like (you are better off
with XAMPP for Windows)

I'd suggest one of the emulators like VMWare, VirtualPC or VirtualBox and
road test the distribution before committing it to your computer, you may
find foibles you don't like, and you can try multiple distributions on the
same machine.

--
John Crowhurst
John's Computer Support