[Sussex] musing about what I'd really like...

Dave Phelan dave.phelan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 14:38:30 UTC 2007

On 6/26/07, Nic James Ferrier <nferrier at tapsellferrier.co.uk> wrote:
> "Dave Phelan" <dave.phelan at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I suspect what they mean is there are improperly sealed joints in the
> > cabling between you and the exchange, and water is getting in. This is
> > poor maintenance, not a problem with ADSL per ce.
>
> No. That's not what I mean. That wouldn't be a function of distance
> from the exchange (I think I mentioned that?)

Well, the further away you are, the more joints there are likely to be.
But that's about it.

> As I understand it, it's not a question of rain or anything like
> that. It's a question of weather related electrostatic variations.
> The copper is not shielded well enough given the level of signal that
> reaches me, to prevent the weather from causing interferance?

I've never heard of such a thing.

> I don't really know enough about ADSL to say one way or the
> other. Detailed ADSL knowledge seems to be hard to come by.

Well, I've worked with some of the guys who tested and designed BT's
ADSL network (at least the first couple of iterations). And I
understand the phone network and how the ADSL signalling works, and
how ATM and DSLAMs work, etc.

But this just sets off my BS alarms. Maybe I'll try and look into it a bit.

> I'm told there's no fix

There's always a fix. It's just how expensive it is :-)

Dave Ph

--
 Dave Phelan CCIE#3590   ICQ: 50180416    GSM: +44 (0)7776 168561
 dave.phelan at gmail.com                  http://www.davephelan.org