[Sussex] musing about what I'd really like...

Steve 'Dobbo' Dobson steve at dobson.org
Tue Jun 26 19:44:44 UTC 2007

Nic

On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 11:26:37AM +0100, Nic James Ferrier wrote:
> I've been experiencing intermittent network access over the last few
> days.
>
> I'm told this is because I'm more than 2 miles from the exchange and
> that ADSL is affected by the weather.

I live over 4kms (drive distance) from my exchange and there is a rail
line between us.  I had to have a new phone line installed to get
connected as my original line was over the 5.5km limit.

I had a problem a few months back where I couldn't maintain a connection
for more than a few minutes (which sounds like your problem).  I phoned
my ISP (Zen) and they checked their end and saw the saw drop too.  I
didn't get a weather/distance excuse.   They were very helpful in helping
me fix the problem.

First I would suggest that you try the ADSL plugged directly into BT's
socket.  If you have one of the newer BT sockets (there are two parts to
the front cover) you can remove the bottom cover and expose the internal
connection which you can plug your ADSL router into.  This removes the
box internals and plugs you directly into BT's wires.

Have your ISP run checks too.  If they can't help here get a better ISP.
If you don't have a problem when plugged directly into the BT socket then
the problem is with your internal wiring and your's to fix.  If you do
then it is either your ADSL hardware or the BT's line.  Don't call BT yet
as they charge big time if the problem isn't theirs.

Try your ADSL on someone else's ADSL line.  If they have the same ISP as
you then you can just plug the ADSL router into their phone socket and see
if you get a stable connection.  If they have a different ISP then you
will need to reconfigure your ADSL router to their connection settings
first.

If the problem persists when plugged into someone else's line then it is
probably your ADSL router at fault (this was what my problem was).  If
it doesn't then the problem is probably with BT's line.  If you can
try your friends ADSL hardware with your phone line so much the better.

Only call BT in when you're sure that the problem isn't with any of
your stuff (internal extensions or ADSL hardware).  I can't help with that
part as I didn't have to call BT at all, but the advice was to check,
check and triple check your stuff first.

Hope this helps