[Sussex] Installing wireless cards

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Thu Mar 8 15:03:51 UTC 2007

Hi Nick

Welcome to the group.

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 05:59:10AM -0800, nick gardner wrote:
> Hello everyone, My name is Nick and a new member of
> this group. I am a Mining Engineer and also in
> computers. I have been using linux for abt 6years now
> and i have seen development of linux from time to
> time.

I didn't know we had any mines in Sussex :-)  or are you a non-local
member?  Not a problem - all welcome here.

>       With regards to install wireless cards you can
> install your windows drivers for it to work on linux
> using ndiswrapper. Here is a link for you to know much
> abt ndiswrapper:
> http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/Installation.
> I hope you find his useful. Wireless adapters from
> onrinco and america robotics, prism chipset are quite
> compactible with linux.Great to be part of this group.

Personally I am not in favour of this ndiswrapper approach.  I think if you
like and wish to prompt Linux you should actively support companies that
are doing the right thing.  If a company only releases a Windows driver and
not details of the hardware (so the kernel team can develop a driver for
Linux/*BSD/...) then, as far as I am concerned, they really don't want my
money!

I've some experience with Prism.  My firewall has a Prism II chip in the
WiFi card so it can act as a AP.  As you say, Nick, works great.

I would also add Atmel to that list.  I got an Atmel WiFi card many moons
ago, just before I moved from 2.4.x -> 2.6.y (where y was a single digit).
Under 2.4 the driver had been written and released under the GPL by Atmel.
Under 2.6 it was being re-written by a kernel developer.

Unfortunately the new driver didn't work when I upgraded to 2.6, so I looked
in the source, found the developer's e-mail address and contacted him.  He
sent me a more up to date version which worked just fine (the exchange was
that I tested it - which I did).  Now that is what I call service.

Try getting that kind of support from a ndiswrapper wrapped driver.  I can
almost here the laughter from Redmond as I type.

                              Steve "Dobbo" Dobson
                                steve at dobson.org
<knghtbrd> Solver_: add users who should be messing with sound to group
           audio..  Make sure the devices are all group audio (ls -l
           /dev/dsp will give you the fastest indication if it's probably
	   set right) and build a kernel with sound support for your card
<knghtbrd> OR optionally install alsa source and build modules for that
           with make-kpkg
<knghtbrd> OR (not recommended) get and install evil OSS/Linux evil
           non-free evil binary only evil drivers---but those are evil.
	   And did I mention that it's not recommended?