[Sussex] Is this a bug (kdepim/kmail)?

John D. johnsemail at f2s.com
Sun Mar 11 08:56:38 UTC 2007

Morning list,

Friday evening, I was doing my weekly update. In the middle of the process my
ISP/service dropped (took me a couple of minutes to work out what was
happening).

I left things alone until yesterday morning when the service had been restored
(might have "come back" earlier - but as it was VVV late on the friday
evening.......). The update process seemed to work fine and all was
restored - or so it seemed.

When I started kmail (set up so that I only get an icon on the task bar when
theres mail awaiting attention) I noticed that the first message was showing
no sender, no subject and no text. Ok thinks me, I'll delete that. On
deletion the highlighted bar drops to the next message and changes from
showing a sender, subject and text to the aforementioned no
sender/subject/text.

This happened a couple more times before I figured that something was wrong.

After digging around, I found a couple of other mentions of similar problems,
but only in a few other instances (long time ago or different distro or
different version of kde etc etc).

I tried the obvious of uninstalling/reinstalling the app, re-uninstalling then
running apt-get clean/apt-get autoclean/apt-get update/apt-get -f install
(plus a few other commands that I don't recall). To no avail.

So I ended up just looking at the senders/subjects of the emails waiting in
queue (as well as installing evolution) and decided that there was nothing
that was important enough to need to worry about and out of frustration,
started dumping the emails (wastebin).

When I got down to about 10 or so messages in the inbox (actually it was my
own comment on the recent "mining in sussex" thread), suddenly I could see
the sender/subject/text again.

Which is where I am at the moment.

What is the likelyhood of this being caused by either a) a corruption of a
file during the updating process, or b) a bug in the kdepim application or c)
one of the messages in the inbox containing code/text that might be causing
this curious behaviour or d) some sort of maximum amount on messages/space
for the inbox (adjustable possibly - though I couldn't find anything that
might allow me to enlarge it i.e. the inbox) or any other possible
explaination that I can't think of ?

Sorry for the drawn out explaination - but for me, kdepim is a much needed app
as it's the only one I've managed to make "sync" with my Palm based Treo 650.

Any suggestions/ideas/guidance would be excellent - even though the
kdepim/kmail seems to be behaving at the moment.

regards

John D.