[Sussex] New members at moots

Steve Dobbo Dobson steve at dobson.org
Fri Mar 30 13:41:22 UTC 2007

David

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 12:48:34AM +0100, David Morris wrote:
> Just been thinking about this as I'm a newish member to the moots and
> (been to 3) and Richard (I think that was his name) was new today.  I
> was thinking would it be too much each time just to spend a couple of
> minutes each going around the group telling the others our name and a
> small bit about themselves.

We should do this.  As the organizer of the moots I should make sure this
happens, but that is one of the things I'm bad at because I always hate
self-introducing myself.

So if you want it to happen next moot just kick me and I'll do it.  Kick
me often enough and it might become a habit.  :-)

> I don't know the names of some of the people that go, or know there
> names but can't be a face to the name.

I have to admit that I don't either.  And Nik admitted to as much himself
last night in his talk.

To any new members I will repeat what I said three/four years ago when I
was given the post of moot chair:  This is a club run by it's members for
it members.  If you want something done the best way getting it done is
to do it yourself.

So, David, if you want a quick intro at the start of each meeting then I
suggest that you ask for it as we start.  As any long attending mooter
will tell you interruptions are broadly tolerated, so please not be shy
in initiating things that you find useful that I am bad at doing.

                              Steve "Dobbo" Dobson
                                steve at dobson.org
                               SussexLUG Master
BOFH excuse #150: