[Sussex] Thoughts On Contrubuting to the Community

Jacqui caren jacqui.caren at ntlworld.com
Sat Mar 31 09:19:03 UTC 2007

Nicholas Butler wrote:
> In realising this I of course recognise my second life maxim which is
> that people very often list fault in others which are reflections of
> "issues" in their own lives so I would have to admit to being just as
> guilty of that particular ideocracy.

Guilty as charged :-)

> Whilst there are many readers of this list who are spectactors to the
> conversation I am keen to know what would or could be discussed here
> that would help them feel more included and more able to take part.

My hobby is playing with a digital camera - I usually take it to
lug meets but it goes to our GSD dog club where I catch owners and dogs
doing some neat agility and obedience work (there is now over 20Gig
of images and vids) I print the rather amateur images out which people
love. My way of paying the dog club back and it helped me become
involved in the club. My point is that sometimes how to get involved is
not so obvious - but it should always be fun.

I think a BBQ is a good idea.

A hants lug member hosted a BBQ. People brought food, drinks BBQ's
seats and stuff. I have pictures :-) If someone want to organise
one Paul and I can bring lots of stuff if required and can give folks a
lift to and from anywhere just of route from the M3/J3.

I did reply with families experience - trying to not appear as a
complete twonk[0], I skipped most of my work related stuff which is
irrelevant here.

> To me the community often seems to be represented by a ( technically )
> small number of members who do seem to spend a awful amount of time
> being self congratulatory and giving each other access and opportunities
> to projects and events. These same people are usually the ones who find
> many creative and indirect ways to knock down ideas and opinions of
> other members who are not part of the "accepted circle" , I believe
> there is nothing directly we can do to avoid this.

I would/am pleading with all fellow lurkers here to say hello.
Come on folks, you dont have to say anything but hello and as
a fellow newbie to this list I am saying hello back :-)

 > But this topic is probably one for  a subthread.

Have you joined the london perl mongers - a good example of the "frat
club" - and yes I lurk there as well.

Jacqui

p.s. Ok I admit it I can be a complete twonk at times :-)