[Sussex] wysiwyg html editor

Fay Zee fay.linux at googlemail.com
Tue May 8 23:00:56 UTC 2007

On 08/05/07, Karl E. Jorgensen <karl at jorgensen.org.uk> wrote:
> I'm always a bit wary of people who wants WYSIWYG HTML/CSS: Failure to
> understand the underlying HTML/CSS means that they have no idea of how
> the content will/could be presented on anything but "a graphical
> browser".  End result:  A website which is probably just aimed at a
> single (or very few) browser(s).
>
> "WYSIWYG" tools can give you an *idea* of *one* way the content could be
> presented, and thus improve productivity.   But please don't let anybody
> think that they can get away *not* understanding the underlying
> HTML/CSS..

Absolutely agree.

I have always been grateful to my boss Kevin for dropping a great fat
text book on HTML onto my desk and telling me to open up the plain
text editor and start :-)

In 15 minutes I had the thrill of seeing my first ever web page in the
browser, featuring an indented list.

That was 1999 and I never looked back. Even when he bought me a tool,
I still used to switch back and forth between design and source views
to do hand crafting (still do).

I also found it easy to develop for the little handheld in one project
I was given.

It's meant that because I understand the concept behind HTML and CSS,
I can successfully use any editor. I usually use Quanta+, but this
thread has prompted me to download Amaya.

Fay