[Sussex] Moots

Steve 'Dobbo' Dobson steve at dobson.org
Mon May 14 09:52:36 UTC 2007

Hi Mooters

It's a little over two weeks until the next moot and I thought I better
do a little bit of advertising as it is not going to be regular meeting.

This time everyone gets to speak as May is about "Kool Gadgets".  It's a
time when you can show off that device that you think is the best thing
since slice bread, but your wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend/other [1]
thinks is the biggest waste of money since money was invented [2].

For the purposes of this moot a gadget must be a physical thing (not
just a bit of software [3]).  And it doesn't have to be Linux (or even
computer) related, although geek status may be diminished if is isn't.
What we want is Kool factor (yes, with a capital `K'), so bring those
things that you normally are to shy to show of in polite company.

I'm not sure what format the evening should take.  Should everyone
give a short presentation (show 'n' tell style), or should we just
move about talking to everyone in small groups?  Your ideas and
suggestions please.

I do think we should have some informal competitions, just for fun of
course.  My suggestions are below, please add your own ideas.  You may,
of course, add a category for which your sure your gadget will win.
You may wish to add multiple categories, and joke categories are allowed,
so we don't know which one you want to win :-)

At the end of the evening we'll just run thought each category and
vote on which gadget best fits.

See you soon

Competitions
-------------
Best use of an AOL (or any other useless) CD.
Geekest Gadget.
Least Geekest Gadget.
Most Linux Compatible Gadget
Most Linux Incompatible Gadget
Most Windows unfriendly Gadget
Most Desirable Gadget
Least Desirable Gadget
Gadget Owner most in need of Therapy.

[1]   Delete as appropriate.

[2]   According Herodotus as documented here
          http://www.ex.ac.uk/~RDavies/arian/amser/chrono1.html
      the first use of money (as in coins rather than just a barter or
      exchange of property) was in Lydia in 687 BC.

[3]   A laptop running the software doesn't count, but an it running
      on an embedded device does.

	            Forthcoming Moot Talks
Month  Subject                                           Speaker
May    Kool Gadgets                                      All
June   Low Cost Linux Clusters for Graphical Rendering   Dave M

--
                              Steve "Dobbo" Dobson
                                steve at dobson.org
                               SussexLUG Master