[Sussex] Solaris Networking

Steve 'Dobbo' Dobson steve at dobson.org
Fri May 18 10:39:25 UTC 2007

Desmond

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 08:43:31AM +0100, Desmond Armstrong wrote:
> I have Solaris 10 (x86) running well but I cannot see how to enable the
> internet, the ethernet (rtl) is recognized. Ideally I should be enabling
> DNS but how?

------------------- Danger, Will Robinson, Danger ----------------------
I't been years since I played with a Solaris system so my memory may be
off or things may have changed.
------------------- Danger, Will Robinson, Danger ----------------------

IIRC the system gets it IP address by using the name it was given in
/etc/hostname and looking for an entry in /etc/hosts.  I can't remember
where the default gateway is configured, probably another file in /etc,
so look at the networking scripts in /etc/init.d - it's probably in the
same script that calls ifconfig.

For DNS set up there are two files.  First is /etc/resov.conf which
should be configured just like you would for a Linux box.  The other
file is something like /etc/nisswitch.conf.  It controls the order where
unknown hosts are looked up first (files, DNS or the NIS master).  You'll
have to read the man pages to find out which setting to change and to
what.

Hope this helps

                              Steve "Dobbo" Dobson
                                steve at dobson.org