[Sussex] failing hard drive - how do I boot the replacement ?

Desmond Armstrong desmond.armstrong at gmail.com
Sat May 19 07:54:28 UTC 2007

For me the best way is to set up a new system and then copy the old
/home partition.

I normally do this procedure as root but you must remember to change the
owner 'chown -R <user>  <user>' in a terminal, as root.

The procedure is:-

Set up new system and generate the necessary user profiles, user1,
user2, guest.

Now with it all running and logged in as priviledged user copy the
individual user profiles across into the /home area, (overwriting the
existing). You actually need the various visible folders like Documents
Photos etc but you also need things like .thunderbird and .mozilla for
the email and browser bookmarks.

And then as root cd to /home and in terminal as root apply 'chown -R
user1 user1' for each user.

I use one of those IDE to USB adaptors for reading the old disk about £7
from the computer fair for transferring the data.
Such an adaptor is veru useful as a failing HD will sometimes work in
one position better than another, I have certainly had some
conosiderable successes by this method. It also allows you to minimize
the time for which the old disk is connected.