[Sussex] Setting up MySQL under FC6

Brendan Whelan b_whelan at mistral.co.uk
Tue May 29 13:07:53 UTC 2007

Hello,

I have a new installation of Fedora Core 6 and, as ever, there are a few changes from earlier versions to the likes of MySQL.
I installed FC6 and then installed MySQL and configured the network. I also set the MySQL password.

service mysqld start          works fine

But when I try to connect with
mysql -u root
or
mysql -u root -pmypassword

I get a failure message 1045 Access denied for user

I have tried re-installing the MySQL and searched the Internet there are some suggestions that it could be a problem with /etc/hosts.
My hosts file has one working line
::1 my_machine_name localhost.localdomain localhost 127.0.0.1

I have tried starting mysql with skip-grant-tables but I don't seem to have the precise syntax.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,  Brendan