[Sussex] An interesting article (well I thought so!)

John Crowhurst info at johnscomputersupport.co.uk
Mon Sep 17 22:20:52 UTC 2007

On Mon, September 17, 2007 21:37, Desmond Armstrong wrote:

>> Just spotted this on slashdot.
>>
>> http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20070913/linuxs-free-system-is-now-easier-to-use-but-not-for-everyone/
>>
>> I thought it was quite interesting, given the apparent quest for factory
>> installation from Dell (after reading various articles recently).
>>
>> What I was suprised with, was the negative side of the article.
>>
> Some interesting comments which we should all take on board.
> My preferred distro, which I keep coming back to, is Mandriva and the
> several negative comments are not negative with this.

I find the need to reboot several times to get something to work a Windows
feature. If a device doesn't work in Linux, you can unload the driver and
reload it.

I see this guy has a problem whenever the system returns from sleep. From
my experience of Windows XP when resuming from sleep is that you can
hardly get the PC to recover properly, so having a defective volume
control is the last of his worries.

I see this guy is more slating Linux because he has to, like Linux mustn't
get a glowing review and must look like a failure because its free.

--
John Crowhurst
John's Computer Support