[Sussex] Advice on pcmcia wireless card please

Philip G phil at lxnet.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Sep 25 20:27:04 UTC 2007

Please note I have posted a duplicate of the following on the Brighton linux
users group as well.  Also appologies if you receive this twice.

Hello all.

I'm in a bit of a pickle as I urgently need a perfectly / fully working pcmcia
wireless card but don't know which one to buy, or where I can buy it.  I am
assuming a prism 2.5 based one but which make and model can be garanteed to
be this chipset; if in deed this will fulfill the following criteria:-

-- must work completely with kismet, including signal strength readings
-- must work with network manager; as many of you know a few cards drivers are
not nm happy yet.
-- must survive suspend resume.
-- must have open source driver.
-- Ideally work with a range of kernels but most importantly with more current
ones, ie Gutsy Gibbon (currently at 2.6.22 plus).
-- Ideally have the facility to plug in an external aerial.
-- ideally 802.11g capable or better.

Thanks.

I am also in the position to advise windows users which wireless divices they
should buy, these will probably be mainly usb for desktop machines to access
a community shared wireless internet access system.  As I would like their
way to linux to be as smooth as possible it would be nice if I had advised
them / supplied them with ones that would actually work if they get around to
trying linux out, rather than my previous advise / supplies causing a show
stopper on their linux potential.  These cards would simply have to get them
on the network, nothing fancy, though an external aerial to aid reception
might be required in some settings.

Thank you all for your time and expertise, any comments what so ever would be
greatly appreciated, my experience with linux (my sole OS for a good number
of years) wireless drivers has been frustrating.

Thanks again