[Sussex] Cloned disk won't boot

Steve 'Dobbo' Dobson steve at dobson.org
Fri Sep 28 18:19:47 UTC 2007

Brendan

On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 04:12:07PM +0100, Brendan Whelan wrote:
> Steve,  As suggested I used Ctrl + Alt + F1 to break out from the GUI login.
> A prompt of my system name followed by login: appeared but I am unable
> to login as root. Some text flashed up very briefly before the login
> reappeared. Any suggestions?

Some system don't allow root to login - I know that Ubuntu follows this
policy.

Try login in as using a normal account.  On Ubuntu when you install the
system it asks for a "normal" user account but gives them special
permissons to do root things via sudo.  So once logged in you can then
do
	$ sudo bash
to get a root shell.

Other systems allow root to have a shell account and you can get one on
them by using:

	$ su -

Hope this helps