[Sussex] Wired Network Talk...

John Crowhurst info at johnscomputersupport.co.uk
Sat Sep 29 21:52:50 UTC 2007

On Sat, September 29, 2007 21:18, Antony wrote:
>> Anyway, next month the plan is to do a talk on wired networking - both
>> the hardware and the software - including practicals.  So, if everyone
> <snip>
>> have a play and do some packet capture.
>
> Can I add a request to try some performance analysis/explanation as
> well?
>
> I got a D-Link Gigabit switch and gave it time to train to my mac
> addresses, but it ran at about 20% the speed of a crossover cable.
> So I returned it and forked out the extra for a Netgear equivalent
> (DG834G), and guess what?  8-(
>
> The concensus seems to be that Consumer Networking Kit Is C**p, but I
> can't help wondering if there's a way to give it a helping hand.....

Are you attempting to do gigabit on Cat5 or Cat5E? Cat5 is not rated for
gigabit. My suggestion would be an upgrade to Cat6.

You can see why they sell decent gear on sites like Solwise, rather than
using the likes of Netgear, D-Link, 3Com, Linksys, Belkin, etc.

Talking about Belkin, I bought a Belkin ADSL2+ wireless router to replace
my ageing SAR110 and the SAR110 outperformed it!

--
John Crowhurst
John's Computer Support