[Sussex] [OT] Photography petition

Geoffrey Teale gteale at cmedresearch.com
Fri Apr 18 12:05:57 UTC 2008

Steve Dobson wrote:
> Yes that *can*, because they did.  One of my English teachers taught me
> the difference between can (having physically ability) and may (having
> permission/authority).  I have a feeling you meant "should".

Well said.   I believe the police have the right to confiscate evidence
if they believe a crime has taken place.   Before we get over zealous on
that particular point we must remember that this is not a black and
white issue - if the police could not gather evidence in advance of
being sure a crime has taken place then they could never make a case.

However, photographers are being stupidly targeted in many cases in the
UK and US alike with justifications seeming to be either protecting
children and/or the terrorist threat.  So the question is not the right
of the police to do their job, but what constitutes a good enough reason
for them to suspect wrong doing.

----%< ---
> There appears to be a general trend in this country, the USofA and
> others I gather to turn them into Police States.  That terms isn't one
> used by the politicos, but it is effectively what is happening.  Did you
> know that you can hold a protest within a mile of the Houses of
> Parliament without permission from the police first?  Where has my right
> to object to the way my country is governed gone?
>
> I see this, and other reports of photographers being stopped, as an
> attack on our freedoms and ways of life.  We need to stand up, all of
> us, to show that these freedoms are important to us, otherwise they will
> get eroded away to nothing.
>
> Sure some of these freedoms can be used for undesirable purposes.  But I
> would rather live with the very small risk of these offences effecting
> me and those I love than to have the freedoms that facilitate the
> planing and execution of those activities to be revoked.

Agreed.   Anyone who reads a decent photography magazine these days will
be well aware of these issues.

The great philosophical question is this: is the fear of people who
would like us to live in a religous dictatorship without many of the
freedoms we enjoy today justification enough to restrict those
freedoms?   It's an interesting questions.

--
Geoff Teale
Software and Technology Consultant