[Sussex] NTP Weirdness

Michael-John Turner mj at mjturner.net
Wed Apr 23 13:11:20 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 12:44:45PM +0100, Steve Dobson wrote:
> The system is a duel Pentium 4 2.6GHz running Debian (Etch) 4.0.  I've
> installed ntp to keep the clock up to date but it drifts badly, racing
> the clock ahead of real time by tens of minutes per day.

To be honest, I've only ever seen NTP weirdness with a Sun Ultra 2 that had
a faulty RTC - the time would fluctuate badly and it didn't hold time
between reboots. Switching to OpenNTPD helped a bit, but it was ultimately
a hardware issue.

Does your system perhaps have hyperthreading enabled? I know that it can
cause havoc with NTPD.

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner