[Sussex] How to tell if someone a really good programmer?

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 22:43:44 UTC 2008

Geoffrey Teale wrote:

> On 08/02/2008, *Andrew Guard* <andrew08 at andrewguard.com
> <mailto:andrew08 at andrewguard.com>> wrote:
>
>     So is really possible to tell who is a really good programmer. If so
>     what is the tell, tell sings to look for?
>

> Well, that depends a lot on th situation you're assessing them under.
> Interview conditions are stressful and therefore a persons shyness can
> skew the results, however I'd say broadly it;s very much something
> that can be assessed.  What;s much harder is to say "will this person
> work hard and will they fit into the team".
>
> Generally the golden rules for me are:
>
>    - They program outside of work and have been doing so since before
> they went to Uni (or perhaps they didn't even go to University)
>   - They have a non-trivial understanding of computer science (that is
> they could discuss implementations of say hash tables, B-trees, and
> Tries without straining too much).
>   - They are aware of new developments and play with new technology as
> a rule
>   - They may not have commercial experience in more than one language,
> but they will have programmed in 7 or 8 languages at least during
> their life.
>   - If they think Scheme rocks and they can explain to you succinctly
> why hygenic macros make it the best language in existance then you're
> probably onto a winner :-)
I was with you right up to there. I took MIT's introduction to computing
course with Gerry Sussman, which was a seious course on Scheme designed
to force out people not serious about computer science While Jerry is an
excellent instructor, and had a great deal of insight to impart, I
thought he was hampered by the absolute "let's make everything
recursive" and "there's a layer of abstraction, we don't actually care
what actually happens as long as we can write our part in one less line
of code" that was the *mandated* approach for the course. Scheme has
generated a large number of navel-gazing programmers who couldn't
garbage collect their way out of a dustpan, and couldn't find the I/O
skills to write "Hello, World.".

*SHUDDER*.
>  - If they don't think they're leat just because they use vi (we have
> already established that wannabe's use vi and real programmers use
> emacs :-))
>
> .. the last ones a joke, BTW, but the wannabe point is based on some
> experience of reality.
I would if I could: I'm dealing with SCO OpenServer right now, and even
getting vim on it was an adventure. *Shudder*.