[Sussex] How to tell if someone a really good programmer?

Richie Jarvis richie at helkit.com
Mon Feb 11 00:56:11 UTC 2008

Brendan Whelan wrote:
> In my opinion, the most common mistake in recruiting is that we all
> prefer to find someone just like ourselves whereas any team needs a
> mixture of skills and personalities. I long since gave up on asking
> detailed technical questions and asking whether a candidate used some
> specific editor, version of an operating system, etc. Instead I would
> pose a vague problem telling them that they can ask any questions. For
> example, "my system is running slowly" (I normally had one or my
> current problems in mind.). Most would ask what the system was used
> for and the try to work out whether it was a hardware or a software
> problem and then move onto finer details.  Often they would end up
> concluding  that the problem wasn't in an area where they were an
> export so I asked how they would overcome there shortcomings and solve
> the problem. It they sat there and even with gentle prompting couldn't
> follow a logical path then I considered them unsuitable. If they could
> come up with sensible suggestions and threw in some relevant fine
> technical details then I considered that they would probably be
> suitable. Of the people I have recruited, virtually all turned out to
> be better than I expected and I suspect that is normally the case.
> However, I did once recruit a capable and affable alcoholic but that
> is another story! Brendan
I am glad I am not the only one who recruits like that - although I do
expect them to display understanding of the areas of competance on their
CV's!

My recruitment is more tending towards Field Engineers, who require a
very broad background in multiple techs.  Same rules apply though - I
did like Geoffrey's list - its very good (apart from the specific
references to things some folks might not have heard of...  WTF is
Scheme - /me googles....)

Cheers,

Richie