[Sussex] Searching for a distro....

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Fri Feb 15 08:48:56 UTC 2008

Quoting Stephen Williams <sdp.williams at btinternet.com>:

> Sounds like you're talking yourself into Gentoo here. I know that
> compile times can be tedious, but you can cure that with the fastest
> possible hardware! And it's a good excuse to get yourself some!

Quite possibly.  I'm already starting to move in the direction of
Gentoo for servers because I can tie them down so tightly from the
word go. Maybe it is the desktop distro for me...

> Just a word of warning though. Gentoo isn't too bad at working "straight
> off the shelf" once you get the hang of it, but there is a bit of
> learning to be done.

I used gentoo for about five years up until 2006.  It taught me most
of what I know about the way in which Linux is laid out and works
(hence the issues with Upstart!) it's just the compile times that
annoy me.  If I need wireshark on a server, it takes three hours
instead of five minutes on Ubuntu...

I've been recommended ArchLinux by someone on the LUGRadio Forums, so
I'm going to try it in a VM over the next few weeks and see how it goes.

Cheers,

M.

--
Matthew Macdonald-Wallace