[Sussex] Secure connections

Jon Fautley jfautley at redhat.com
Tue Jan 8 09:16:41 UTC 2008

On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 08:44:12 +0000
Desmond Armstrong <desmond.armstrong at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Or use port 587, submission, which was designed for EXACTLY this
> > purpose. and/or run SSL on port 465...
> >
> Googlemail's instructions say 465 or 587 and SSL (with
> authentication) for the smtp.googlemail.com but I have been unable to
> make it work. After several days the outgoing is working as it was
> before with smtp.tiscali.co.uk TLS (if available, no authentication)
> and 25.

Sounds like you've mixed the ports up there. 587 can support SSL using
STARTTLS, but 465 is a "pure" SSL stream. Make sure you're using the
right options in your mail client. Also, make sure you're using the
right authentication type. There are several for SMTP.

(BTW, I don't use GoogleMail/GMail so I have no idea how their services
actually work)

Cheers,

/j
Jon Fautley RHCE, RHCX               email: jfautley at redhat.com
Senior Consultant                    cell :     +44 7841 558683
Global Professional Services
Red Hat UK, 200 Fowler Avenue, Farnborough, Hampshire, GU14 7JP