[Sussex] Is 2008 the Year Of The Desltop for Linux?

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Mon Jan 28 10:48:08 UTC 2008

Hi All

Yes, I know you've head it all before.  I've become somewhat jaded about
the idea that Linux will replace Windows on the desktop.  However,
others are more hopeful.

I came across article [1] which I recommend to you for reading.  It
links to article [2] about a large roll out in India that is equally
interesting.  But what is most significant to me is how IBM are
supporting Linux.

It appears to me that IBM made the right choice by not developing a
Linux distro of their own.  By providing support for a number of
different distros are they not better able to support their clients?  If
you want RedHat in the server room and Ubuntu on the desktop which
company would you prefer to go to for your support?  RedHat, Canonical
or IBM?

Sure all three have the skills.  We all know that one Linux distro is
pretty much like another, after all the code base is the same.  But if
RedHat recommended their desktop system, or Canonical Ubuntu for the
server room, would you think they were making that recommendation
because it was right for you or because it was easier for them?  If IBM
made either of those recommendations wouldn't you think that they
probably had a point?

So will 2008 be the year of the Linux desktop?  I don't know.  I'll
believe it when I see it.

Steve

[1]
http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2008/01/27/linux-is-2008-the-year-of-the-desktop/

[2] http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/home/News.asp?id=46692
--
Steve Dobson

"I'm really enjoying not talking to you ... Let's not talk again
____REAL
soon ..."