[Sussex] Ubuntu + Nova T 500

Richie Jarvis richie at helkit.com
Tue Jul 1 07:39:28 UTC 2008

Diego Moore wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I bought a Nova T 500 DVB tuner on the basis the www.effecientpc.co.uk
> <http://www.effecientpc.co.uk> use this tuner and somehow manage to
> sell MythTV systems. It sounded like a pretty safe choice but after
> more than a month of tinkering around (when I have spare time!) I
> still have not been able to tune into anything.
>
> I don't have the specifics to hand right now but here is my rough
> conclusion:
> 1. I'm fairly certain it's configured and up and running
> 2. I've run a scan for Midhurst, Reigate, Crystal Palace and others.
> Most return nothing very quickly however Midhurst take a while to
> find, well nothing!
> 3. I also found wscan and gave this a go but still found nothing
> 4. While I don't have a freview box to check the signal I do remember
> plugging a LCD with a built in digital tuner and it picked up Freeview
> fine. I have tried the above in more than one socket in the house
> though...
>
> Having done some Googling I am starting to think that the scanner on
> this DVB tuner does not work and all I need are the correct details on
> the channels.conf
>
> Does this sound right? If so would somone local (Horsham) be kind
> enough to send me their channels.conf?
>
> Many thanks,
> Diego
Hi Diego,

I seem to remember from others in Horsham that it is a dead spot for
DVB-T transmissions :(  I have 4 DVB-T 500 series tuners here, and they
work fine for MythTV, however, I pick my signals up from Heathfield, as
I am closer to there, being just north of Lewes.

Nowadays, a modern distro (especially Ubuntu) picks up these cards
immediately, and they work out of the box.

Good Luck!

Cheers,

Richie