[Sussex] Mandriva faster at Internet than Windows

John Milbank john.milbank at tesco.net
Mon Jul 7 09:37:21 UTC 2008

I have an old 1200MHz computer with 512MB ram and an 80GB hard drive.

I have installed Windows XP Pro and Mandriva Spring 2008 as a dual boot. I use a D-Link ADSL modem that is connected to the computer with a network cable. This replaces the USB device provided by the Tesco internet service.

The Windows XP is fully patched. It is SP3. I also have AVG antivirus and Spybot S and D running on Windows.

The difference in performance between the two operating systems is astounding.

Mandriva Linux is much faster at loading web pages. It is so obvious that I am wondering if there are serious design flaws in Microsoft Windows.

I have two computers and the only one that can surf the web with Windows XP SP3 is the 2200 MHz Sempron. 1200 MHz is not enough for Windows.

John Milbank