[Sussex] Mandriva faster at Internet than Windows

Jacqui Caren Jacqui.caren at ntlworld.com
Mon Jul 7 11:41:03 UTC 2008

John Milbank wrote:
> I have an old 1200MHz computer with 512MB ram and an 80GB hard drive.
>
> I have installed Windows XP Pro and Mandriva Spring 2008 as a dual boot.
> I use a D-Link ADSL modem that is connected to the computer with a
> network cable. This replaces the USB device provided by the Tesco
> internet service.
>
> The Windows XP is fully patched. It is SP3. I also have AVG antivirus
> and Spybot S and D running on Windows.
>
> The difference in performance between the two operating systems is
> astounding.
>
> Mandriva Linux is much faster at loading web pages. It is so obvious
> that I am wondering if there are serious design flaws in Microsoft Windows.

It is very likely an MTU/MRU size issue. FWICR windows boxen will not
drop MTU size when establishing a DHCP link with the DSL modem
but eh linux Dhclient/dhcpd will.

This when badly configured can make a hell of a difference.

The other issue can be the firewall. The web page pre/post scan
change for a certain firewall has been causing "ructions".

> I have two computers and the only one that can surf the web with Windows
> XP SP3 is the 2200 MHz Sempron. 1200 MHz is not enough for Windows.

I have XP of ~1Gh machines and XP works well. My laptop is XP and
~1.3GHz and works well with both XP and various linux distro's.

Having said this I would never consider connecting a winods machine
to a DSL modem - you are just asking for it. My home systesm hide behind
one or two linux boxen and that stops most of the nasties getting through.

Jacqui