[Sussex] web security glitch!!

Steve Redshaw sr at steveredshaw.idps.co.uk
Wed Jul 9 15:49:22 UTC 2008

It is fascinating being part of the SLUG discussions (just to remind folk
that I am a very green Linux user, trying to wrench myself away from
Windows) and I am slowly learning more, but there are constantly obstacles
which I find frustrating and off-putting, mostly in the form of Linux jargon
and assumed knowledge of computer technology.

The advantage of Windows, as mentioned in another recent posting, is its
adaptability to many different computers and hardware attachments, you just
install it and it works with just about everything. I am not trying to
demean Linux, but in my limited experience, it is a lot harder creating a
computer system with Linux than it is with Windows.

An example of something I don't understand at all!!
"Surely any distribution with network based package management and a cron
daemon running?

Though whether that is a sensible strategy or not I will leave as an
exercise for the reader..."
Geoffrey could you elaborate please?

Steve Redshaw