[Sussex] web security glitch!!

Steve Redshaw sr at steveredshaw.idps.co.uk
Wed Jul 9 17:08:16 UTC 2008

hi Steve, Geoff and Dominic (in particular),

Thanks for your replies, I do not feel that anyone is getting at me, I don't
mind displaying my present ignorance concerning Linux, in this instance it
seems to have created a very useful and interesting debate.

Thanks Dominic, Your article is illuminating, helpful and inspiring,
although it does rather confirm what I was beginning to discover, a lot of
Linux users know a lot about computers and like having control over their
OS.

As for me, I just want to use a computer as a useful tool for my business
and personal needs;- but before you show me the door (or maybe the Windows),
I am genuinely interested in the 'Linux' ideals and its stand against
commercial restrictions and yes, I am prepared to put in the time to learn
to use Linux (if it is not presented in a way that is too consistently over
my head or takes inordinate amounts of time and/or concentration, I do have
business tasks which I have to complete on a computer as well as exploring
new territory). There is a level of frustration and non-understanding that
will send the intrepid Linux explorer scuttling back the other way, this is
partly dependent on that person's perseverance of course, but also partly on
how information is presented, how easy it is to access and how skills are
taught to 'newbies'.

So yes, I confess, I would rather prefer an OS with a familiar feel, which
does basically the same things the OS and its software I am familiar with
does, the OS I find useful and necessary for so many tasks. It is
interesting learning about aspects of computer control that MS took from
elsewhere (Windows for example?) and I take the point about commercial
organisations being able to put professional support and help behind their
software and hardware, as well as publicity (propaganda) which sheds a
positive light on itself only!

My next questions then are these; Is the Linux community able to embrace the
average 'non-geek' computer user? Does it have the patience to teach me
about the benefits of Linux and encourage others like me to use it? Does it
want to do this anyway? Am I just a leech after a cheap computer system?
What can I contribute to Linux and its development?

Does Linux need me?

Steve Redshaw