[Sussex] configuring grub

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 23:08:21 UTC 2008

Dennis Dryden wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 9:50 AM, FRANK JAMES
> <frank.james4 at btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> I want to be able to get grub to log in automatically. The reason is running
>> an intranet server without keyboard, mouse and monitor, just mains and
>> ethernet connection. I am sure that it can be done, any help would be
>> appreciated.
>> Frank James
>>

> Edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst to have a default boot option and a
> timeout of 0 seconds for example:
>
> default 0
> timeout 0
>
> Hope that helps,
> Dennis

If I may suggest? Do *NOT* use 0 timeout. Timeout is measured on 0.1
second units, and a settiing of '50' will give you 5 seconds to select a
particular kernel or boot option if you feel the need when a console is
attached.

And default is not automatically '0'. Default should point to the
particular kernel or operating system you want to boot with, by default.
0 is the first, 1 is the second, etc. When you install a new kernel for
whatever reason, it's a good idea to review the grub.conf before
rebooting to make sure that the default kernel is in fact the one you
want to boot with.