[Sussex] HTTP Web Dialog, Howto

John Patrick nhoj.patrick at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 18:28:32 UTC 2008

I've seen javascripts which does something like your talking about.

Basically the origional page calls a function to determine if it should
submit, this produces a popup html page which the user can do anything they
want with. Once the user select the exit path from the page it closes and
the return value of the window is captured by the origional window and
determins what to do next.

You need to add the next few lines in you original page function that is
calle on submit

rtn = window.openModalDialog(X1);

if (rtn != '/* determine if return value is confirm | yes | no | reject */ )
{
    document.form.action=X2;    document.form.method='get';
document.form.submit();
}

In the popup page that X1 displays you have the following javascript
function and link it to onunload

function shutdown() {
  window.returnValue=/* determine what should be returned */;
}

I hope you can gain some understanding, personally I try to avoid the web
front end of all the java applications i've worked on. I don't have an eye
for graphics so everything looks rubbish.

John