[Sussex] Etch GRUB naughtiness

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Sun Mar 9 00:27:43 UTC 2008

Steve,

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 06:47:34 +0000
Steve Dobson <steve at dobson.org> wrote:
> Look for the text "AUTOMAGIC" in menu.lst.  The first instance of that
> string, which is just above the snippet above, will be the comment:
> 	#
> 	# Put static boot stanzas before and/or after AUTOMAGIC KERNEL
> 	# LIST
>
> Then a on the next line is the start marker:
> 	### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
> 	## lines between the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST markers will be
> 	## modified by the debian update-grub script except for the
> 	## default options below
>
> Then come the boot stanzas and finally the end marker:
> 	### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
>
> If you  follow the comments all should be fine.  Well it will if my
> guess about how you've edited the file is correct.  So just move the
> Windows stanza to before or after the markers (I would guess depend
> weather you want Debian or Windows to be the top item in the boot
> menu) and then run update-grub(8) by hand.
Many thanks for this. Somehow I must have altered the place where I put
the Windows stanzas. I shall move them to a safe place. In a few weeks
time I hope that I will be able to comment them out for good. I just
have to get Tracy's Brother laser printer working (another post quite
likely to follow soon about that). Tracy is very keen to complete the
migration from Windows to Debian.

Gavin.