[Sussex] The Wi-Fi button

John Crowhurst info at johnscomputersupport.co.uk
Thu May 22 23:18:39 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 10:42, Desmond Armstrong wrote:
> I have installed Linux on a Compaq Presario V4000 laptop.
> The problem I have is that I cannot switch on the Wi-Fi. There is a
> button for this and it does nothing. In Windows it toggles the Wi-Fi on
> and off. any ideas?

Apparently this is a driver issue, you need to use cabextract and extract
the 64-bit drivers (the ones in Windows are 32 bit) and use the
ndiswrapper to load them.

This guide is for the V3000 but I guess its the same build:
http://starbase-12.blogspot.com/2006/09/compaq-presario-v3000-with-ubuntu-606.html

The button on the laptop triggers a response in the software to allow or
deny Windows access to the wireless device. If you find out what the key
binds to, you may be able to put it to a better use like screen lock.

--
John Crowhurst
John's Computer Support