[Sussex] Linux woes

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sun May 25 04:26:59 UTC 2008

Desmond Armstrong wrote:
> You can download mandriva-linux-mini  (2008.1 (Spring))
> This gives you the ability to then download modules as required.
> You can also download the 3 CDs of Mandriva-free (2008.1 (Spring)) The
> full (non-free) version is the equivalent of 6 CDs.
> These are all CD ISOs and you can burn them and make the bootable
> disks. The sizes are:-
> mandriva-linux-mini  (2008.1 (Spring)) 713552 KB
> mandriva-one-GNOME 660602 KB
> mandriva-one-KDE 713382 KB
> mandriva free 2008.1 spring CD1 711232 KB
> mandriva free 2008.1 spring CD2 715972 KB
> mandriva free 2008.1 spring CD3 706268 KB
>
> Mandriva One is alive distro, not installable.
>>
>> I know it's been a while since I used Mandriva, but there always used
>> to be a basic/lite version of the .ISO available, which would just
>> produce a basic/lite bootable CD version which could be installed,
>> then getting any of the additional app's/packages from one of the
>> mirrors via URPMI.

Oh, yes, and if you're using Mandriva, there's the Penguin Liberation
Front, at http://plf.zarb.org/. They're very handy for grabbing MP3
players and DVD tools that are not available as part of the
distributions for patent or odd licensing reasons. It's where I go for
vtwm and xv for my RedHat boxes.