[Sussex] Love that Puppy!

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Mon Oct 13 23:14:16 UTC 2008

Thanks to Fay for showing me round Puppy Linux at the last moot. I recently installed it on a friend's laptop & he is delighted with it.

This friend is definitely not very computer literate & he had been given the laptop by his daughter who had installed WinXP Pro on it. No problem with that if that's your bag except that this laptop is around 7 or 8 years old with a 650 MHz CPU, 192 MB of RAM & a 5.5 GB HD. The trouble was that XP Pro was taking up the whole hard drive, leaving only 904 KB spare. Having explained this to him, my friend readily agreed to try Puppy Linux (despite his general ignorance about computers he had heard of Linux).

Puppy won out against my old favourite DamnSmallLinux in this case - the 90 MB size of Puppy compared with the self-imposed limit of 50 MB on DSL makes a lot of difference in terms of ease of use.

Gavin.