[Sussex] What is Linux Worth?

Steve Dobson steve.dobson at syscall.org.uk
Thu Oct 23 16:04:17 UTC 2008

Hi All

There is a new development cost analysis of Linux available (updated
from the 2002 version).  Back in 2002 David Wheeler came up with a cost
for writing a Linux distro from scratch $1.2 billion USD.

Well a lot more code as been written and added to the distros today so
what is the cost now?  $10.8 billion!  Their distro this time was Fedora
Linux 9, which they openly admit does not have the most code as part of
that distro.

If you read no other part of this report I do recommend the conclusions
to you as they talk their about what the real worth of Linux is.

This is one for your IT boss's in-tray.

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/publications/estimatinglinux.php

Steve Dobson

How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our
thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one
another
in the waking state?
-- Plato